Welcome to this week’s post.
This is the cake recipe I used for Yannick’s birthday cake and it was definitely a hit amongst those who tasted it. It’s quite literally the best chocolate cake I’ve ever made or tasted.
This recipe will make three 9″ round cakes, but I generally make a two layer cake and use the extra batter for a batch of cupcakes.
Also, if you’re curious about what sort of cake pan I use, you can find it here.
Cake aside, the icing for this recipe is bomb AF in itself. It’s a white chocolate buttercream. I usually hate white chocolate but this stuff has awoken my chocolate lover soul.
Let’s get to the recipe!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1.5 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- 1.5 cups warm water (not too hot!)
- .5 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Use vegetable oil grease the bottom and sides of the cake pan
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well blended
- Add in eggs, buttermilk, warm water, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Using a hand mixer, blend on medium for a few minutes until well mixed
- Divide the batter among three 9″ cake pans. Each cake will be just a little over 3 cups of batter
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Check doneness using the toothpick test
- Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out cakes onto the racks and allow to cook completely
- Cut rounded tops of the cakes off, creating a flat surface so the cake stacks evenly
White Chocolate Buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz white chocolate chips
- First, melt the chocolate using the double boiling method. Remove chocolate from heat and allow to cool while continuing with the next steps.
- Place soft butter in a bowl and add powdered sugar. Begin to mis slowly and gradually beat on medium until fluffy (about a minute)
- Scrape bowl and add the cream and vanilla, and melted white chocolate
- Mix on medium- high for 3 minutes
- Put icing on first cake in an even layer. Place second cake (cut side down) on top of first cake. Use the remaining icing to cover the entire cake.
And there you have it! The most delicious chocolate cake you’ll ever taste. I hope you enjoy it and please let me know if you try it out. Thank you for reading and I’ll see you on Saturday.